Monday, May 09, 2011

People as Treasures

Today I met a wonderful gay boy named Ethan. 

I had to work late and decided to pick up supper at a local fast food restaurant.  I can't tell you which restaurant but.......


Normally this restaurant is very slow and I get attitude from crabby little teenagers who have as much oil on their faces as there is in the deep fryer.  I get impatient with their surley attitudes, "Oh my god, like do you want fries with that, er like what?  Here's your food." - sigh......



But I was craving ice cream and was willing to wait.  Not only was Ethan incredibly friendly, but he was courteous, acted like he gave a crap about me and wanted to serve me the best damn (ice cream mixed with cookie dough) I would ever eat in my life!  He asked his co-worker, "How's my double cheeseburgers coming?" After waiting for an answer he said, "Awesome, thanks!".  He was so upbeat and positive!  He took charge of his job no matter how small the task may be!  They should have a training video on customer service starring Ethan!  Today you are my found treasure!  Keep up the good work Ethan!


Another treasure in Saskatoon is a fella named Kyle at another un-namable store.  As soon as you walk in the door, Kyle "greets you" by yelling, "GOOD MORNING!"  Most people ignore him or shyly smile and say good morning very quietly.  I always make a point to yell back at Kyle - this way I think it's not so awkward that he's the only one yelling in the store.  "GOOD MORNING KYLE!  HOW'S IT GOING?!"  I must admit, I always ask Kyle, "How's it going?" or "What's new Kyle?"  Most people say it's going fine or that there isn't anything new.  Not Kyle!  He's going to Winnipeg! He's riding his bike today!  He's taking the bus home! His mother is visiting! etc. etc.  As you walk away and go on with your busy life shopping for dog food, underwear or cheap electronics, I always smile because even from the back of the store you can hear Kyle yelling at the rest of the customers, "GOOD MORNING!!"  Thank you for honestly telling me what's up or going on Kyle!  You are also a Saskatoon treasure!


TTFN!
DeAnne the Treasure Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment