Sunday, May 01, 2011

Another Treasure Day





Yesterday we went on a different kind of treasure hunt.  This time we went to an Auction.  Anybody that knows me knows that I love going to auctions.  It's the excitement of not really needing anything but the competition of "winning" the item.  I put "winning" in quotes because I don't really see the highest bidder as "winning".  It's more of an economics thing.  It's called an opportunity cost.  I am willing to sit for hours at an auction waiting for an item that I may like, being the highest bidder and waiting until the end because you never know what will come up next.  I trade my time and money for the possibility that I may end up with something.....that....I....didn't.....really....need.....in the first place. 



Now that I've put it down on in words it doesn't sound like the smartest way to waste my time.  Oh well.  I guess it's just another hobby like a lot of time wasting things.

We got up VERY early yesterday morning.  The Udy's and us had to get there at 9am.  I should explain who the Udy's are:

     I have two sets of parents.  One is the M&M's.  That's my dad and his wife.  They are RVing nomads in the Winter exploring the USA while the rest of us are in Saskatchewan freezing our tails off.  They are like Canadian Geese.  They leave in the winter and return in the Spring. 

M&M Mobile


The other set of parents are the Udy's.  My mom and her husband.  Their names are similar and therefore, have been dubbed the Udy's.  They work up in Fort McMurray and are currently exploring purchasing a home in Arizona.  It's good.  Kelly and I will have somewhere to go in the Winter!  I've been coaching them on when purchasing a home the importance of a swimming pool.  Next step is to convince them that it would be an asset for the procurement of a pool boy for mom and I to look at.......... 




Anyway, back to the auction!

We went for breakfast, and then carried on the the Auction.  I did some searching online but there wasn't a lot of information.  We arrived at 8:45 and got our number.  We also looked around at all the goodies that would be sold.  We had our eye on a few things but didn't really see anything that got us too excited.  We found our seats and waited for the show to begin!

Item after item zipped by!  The auctioneer called out several times "a beed-a-fourty-now forurty five-a deep-ding-how about Fifty-deem-ba-deem-Fifty-Five......."  Someone had an old AutoShop and there was a ton of old automotive crap that not only did I not have a clue what the heck the stuff was, I was not interested in buying any of it!  So I wait.  And I wait.  And I wait.  FINALLY! 

After the many of the auctioneer's cries of "Hep!" "Yup!" and "Sold!" here comes the good stuff!  Kelly bought a box full of sockets....boring.....Kelly bought a generator.....boring.......I bought a dog clipping kit!  Exciting!  I bought a mini dog clipper!  Exciting!  Then the creme de la creme.....a shopping cart full of stuff!  Odds and ends, 13 phones, a ceiling fan, a heater, a paper shredder, other assorted goodies.  I bought it for $22.50!  The reason I was interested in this collection of costco returns was our cordless phone batteries are toast at home and the same phone system was in there.  I was going to take the batteries out of the old phone system and replace them with the supposed broken phones. 



When we got our "winnings" home we started opening bag after bag of phones, we cleaned, sorted and plugged in various kinds of phones.  They worked!  So now we have a crazy number of cordless phones in the house.  One for every room!

The paper shredder didn't work.  We (meaning Kelly) took it apart and soon realized that due to one little broken piece the whole thing didn't work!  WE MADE IT WORK!  A $300 paper shredder. 

Next the 8900 series HP Photosmart Printer.  Huge, upgraded with extra paper trays.  Another $300 touch.  With some TLC, cleaning and tweaking, VOILA one working printer.

On to the portable DVD player with the "broken screen that is black".  Some tweaking and BAM!  A Sony portable DVD player that works! $150.

I'd say it was totally worth $22.50!  All told, I think it was a great day and a great way to waste my time. 

On to the next adventure!  Time to shave the dogs!



TTFN Friends!
DeAnne the Treasure Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment